Sunday, May 15, 2011

False Security verses True Riches

A young man who grew up in Uganda, and then had the opportunity to move to America said this;
“This may be confounding to you, but it was far easier being a Christian in the poverty of Uganda than in the affluence of the States.  Prosperity tempts my laziness; it lulls me away from dependence upon the LORD.  The affluence draws me toward passivity.  It’s a daily battle for dependence upon God versus dependence upon my own strength!”  

I have mentioned that I am reading Worldliness by C.J. Mahoney.  The above is taken from it.  However, I have talked with different friends who live or work in other countries, including Uganda.  And they have stated the above in different ways.
I am convicted today, once again, to not look at the “rising cost of living”, but to look at our“rise in living standards”.  It can creep in so easily and so subtly  , regardless of our income.  Wanting “stuff” is an equal opportunity sin.  Like everyone, I have more than some and not as much as many others.  

Today, I want to look more and more at the Cross and remember where my true riches are...”For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, so that you by His poverty might become rich. “ (2 Cor. 8:9)

“When someone sets his affections upon the cross and the love of Christ, he crucifies the world as a dead and undesirable thing.  The baits of sin lose their attraction and disappear.  Fill your affections with the cross of Christ and you will find no room for sin.”  
John Owen
Happy Sunday!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well said! I am constantly needing to rethink my wants versus actual needs. Thanks for the reminder. I love the thought about our "rise in living standards."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. It's so easy to forget about God when you have it all because you can easily loose your dependence on HIM.

    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across your blog as a link from "Gathering the Lambs" blog. I just love your beautiful family! And your post is so well said. Our Growth Group has been reading, "The Hole in our Gospel", & now the book, "Crazy Love". What an upside-down World we live in!
    A New Follower, ready to return and read often,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...